Close Menu
Gun Day Fun DayGun Day Fun Day
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Firearms
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Gun Day Fun DayGun Day Fun Day
  • Home
  • Latest News
  • Firearms
  • Tactical
  • Videos
Gun Day Fun DayGun Day Fun Day
Home»Latest News»Judge orders migrant deported in ‘error’ free from ICE custody with criminal case looming
Latest News

Judge orders migrant deported in ‘error’ free from ICE custody with criminal case looming

Sam DanielsBy Sam DanielsFebruary 18, 20265 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Judge orders migrant deported in ‘error’ free from ICE custody with criminal case looming
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A federal judge on Tuesday blocked the Trump administration from re-arresting Salvadoran migrant Kilmar Abrego Garcia into federal immigration custody — an update that comes just days before he is slated to appear in Nashville for a key court date in a separate criminal case.

U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis agreed to convert her previous emergency order blocking ICE from immediately re-detaining Abrego Garcia into a longer-term form of injunctive relief sought by his lawyers. 

She said Tuesday that the Trump administration failed to provide the court with any “good reason to believe” that they plan to remove him to a third country in the “reasonably foreseeable future.” Instead, she said, they “made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success.”

The order clears the way for Abrego Garcia to participate in a key hearing in Nashville next week on whether a separate federal judge should dismiss his criminal case on the grounds of “vindictive” and selective prosecution. Abrego Garcia was accused in court records of repeated domestic violence against his wife, who alleged multiple incidents of physical abuse in protective order filings. She later withdrew the protective order request and has defended her husband publicly. The Department of Homeland Security has also said he was living in the U.S. illegally and has alleged ties to MS-13, disputing portrayals of him as simply a “Maryland man.” His attorneys have denied the gang allegations.

ABREGO GARCIA REMAINS IN US FOR NOW AS JUDGE TAKES CASE UNDER ADVISEMENT

Xinis also said the government has “done nothing” to show the court that Abrego Garcia’s continued detention in ICE custody is “consistent with due process.”

“Respondents have done nothing to show that Abrego Garcia’s continued detention in ICE custody is consistent with due process,” Xinis said Tuesday. 

She ticked through a list of the Trump administration’s efforts to remove Abrego Garcia to a list of four African nations it had identified as so-called “third countries” of removal in the months between August, when Abrego was re-detained by ICE, and December, when Xinis ultimately ordered his release.

The Justice Department and Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment. 

Senior DHS and Justice Department officials previously suggested they would appeal Xinis’ orders. Trump officials have been sharply critical of Xinis and other federal judges presiding over deportation cages, whom they have repeatedly accused of overstepping their authority as a district judge.

“This order lacks any valid legal basis, and we will continue to fight this tooth and nail in the courts,” DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in response to the court’s earlier emergency order. 

Xinis said Tuesday that the administration “refused to procure Abrego Garcia’s immediate removal to Costa Rica,” the location he had identified as his preferred third country of removal, in favor of what she said was attempted “phantom removals” by the government to send Abrego to “three (maybe four) African countries.”

“Indeed, since Abrego Garcia secured his release from criminal custody in August 2025, respondents have made one empty threat after another to remove him to countries in Africa with no real chance of success,” Xinis said. 

ABREGO GARCIA LAWYERS ASK US JUDGE TO ORDER RETURN TO MARYLAND AMID ONGOING CRIMINAL CASE

Kilmar Abrego-Garcia ICE Custody

The Trump administration previously tried and failed to remove Abrego Garcia to the African countries of Liberia, Eswatini, Uganda and briefly, Ghana.

Xinis noted in late November that the government could not take any of those steps without the final notice of removal order, which she reiterated Tuesday in the memo order that the government had not obtained. 

“Thus, he must remain on the stringent release conditions already imposed by ICE and in the Tennessee Criminal Matter,” Xinis said. 

US JUDGE VOWS TO RULE ‘SOON’ ON ABREGO GARCIA’S FATE AFTER MARATHON HEARING

Abrego Garcia’s status has been at the center of a legal and political maelstrom since March, when he was deported to his home country of El Salvador, in violation of a 2019 court order and in what Trump officials acknowledge was an “administrative error.” Xinis ordered then that Abrego Garcia be “immediately” returned to the U.S.

He was eventually returned to the U.S. in June, where he was taken into federal custody in Nashville and detained on human smuggling charges stemming from a 2022 traffic stop. 

The Justice Department later told Xinis it had opened the criminal investigation and presented it to a grand jury at the same time that Abrego Garcia was detained in a Salvadoran prison, and at the same time as government lawyers were telling the court that the U.S. was powerless to order his return. 

A woman is seen holding a sign of Kilmar Abrego Garcia in front of the U.S. Court for the Middle District of Tennessee. Abrego Garcia was deported to El Salvador's CECOT prison earlier this year, in what Trump administration officials described as an 'administrative error.' Photo via Getty Images

Xinis has maintained a confrontational posture toward the Trump administration, sharply rebuking its arguments in court. In June, she criticized what she described as a lack of information submitted as part of an expedited discovery process she ordered in Abrego Garcia’s case, calling the government’s filings “vague, evasive and incomplete,” and saying they demonstrated a “willful and bad faith refusal to comply with discovery obligations.” In December, she accused the government of stonewalling her efforts to obtain details about ICE’s plans to deport Abrego Garcia to several African countries and said DOJ lawyers “affirmatively misled the tribunal.”

Next week’s hearing in Nashville will be centered on a motion to dismiss Abrego Garcia’s criminal case for “vindictive” and selective prosecution. 

 

The judge overseeing that case, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw, had ruled in October that Abrego Garcia had established a “reasonable likelihood” that the criminal case against him was the result of vindictive prosecution by the Justice Department.

Crenshaw had ordered the Trump administration to produce for the court internal documents and government witnesses to testify about its decision to bring the case. 

Read the full article here

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email

Related Posts

Genetic genealogy that caught notorious killers now used in Nancy Guthrie case

February 18, 2026

Is This A Bad Sign For This New S&W Revolver?

February 18, 2026

Mistrial declared in Texas ICE detention center ambush trial over defense lawyer’s T-shirt

February 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest firearm news and updates directly to your inbox.

Editor's Picks

San Jose Sergeant vs Determined Carjacker Caught on Camera

February 18, 2026

Is This A Bad Sign For This New S&W Revolver?

February 18, 2026

Dan Crenshaw Controversy and Allegations – YOU Be The Judge | Ep. 279

February 18, 2026

Judge orders migrant deported in ‘error’ free from ICE custody with criminal case looming

February 18, 2026
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact
© 2026 Gun Day Fun Day. All Rights Reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.